Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Blood Orange Photoshoot


Here is my newest favourite fruit, just in case you hadn't noticed! I like everything about blood oranges. The flavour, the texture, and of course, the colour of the peel, flesh and juice. I even like the name.

I buy them at the Covent Garden Market here in London. They sell for $2.99 per pound as opposed to $1.99 for regular oranges. They look really cool, don't you think? They add a lot to breakfast. They really brighten the morning meal, and make it a bit of an event.

Doing my food duty, I checked with the dude that sells them, and it seems that the blood orange season is short. They are only available for about a month. Approximately from Christmas until the beginning of February. I am glad I discovered them this year. Too bad we will have to wait a whole year again for them.

Just think how different the world would be if you changed all the references to 'oranges' to 'blood oranges' or 'bloody oranges'. For example: the first line of Leonard Cohens song "Suzanne", would now be ... "Suzanne takes you down to her place by the river and she wants to feed you tea and BLOODY ORANGES that come all the way from China ...". See what I mean?

Or how about that Zappa classic "Dental Floss Tycoon", or is it called "Movin' To Montana? In this case just substitute it entirely for '... dental floss tycoon ...'.
Now we can all sing, come on ... join in! "Movin' to Montana soon, gonna be a BLOODY ORANGE tycoon ...".

Or instead of asking your breakfast guest, or guests, if they would "like a glass of sunshine?", you could ask them, "Would you like a glass of BLOODY sunhine?". That one would go over very well in Britain, wouldn't it?

And speaking of Britain, WTF does 'dodgy' mean? I'm contextually challenged and I can't figure it out. For ex: 'He looked pretty DODGY!', or 'Get a load of the DODGY looking mandu!'. Or "Watch out for that DODGY BLOODY juice!", or would it be "...BLOODY DODGY juice..."?

Is it possible for mandu to even be 'dodgy'? I think I'm on the right track guessing that it has a negative connatation, but I'm not entirely sure how negative it is.

The kids got some Seinfeld DVD's for Christmas, maybe it's affecting me.

Or maybe it's because I bought some "Blood oranges"! Now isn't this better than writing about the Canadian election?

Have a nice day. As Suze Orman says, "People first, then money, then things.". Thanks Suze! (pronounced Suzie ... like a banshee).

Have a great day, thanks for stopping by.

Remember click on the image to see the large version.