Monday, August 29, 2005

월요일, 팔월, 이십구, 2005.

하나



다섯
여섯
일곱
여덟
아홉


I am focusing on pure Korean numbers because I am less acquainted with them than Sino-Korean numbers. Elementary, which is just the way I like numbers and counting to be.

The Harry Potter series of books is great! I 've almost finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which is the last one, so far. J. K. Rowling describes the process that we use for concentrating and focusing when one of her characters is trying to teach the students how to cast non-verbal spells. It became a valuable excercise in concentration for me, although at the time it didn't seem so, because, after all, I was just reading a book. The series of books are very easy to read. The author is accomplished at translating her minds vision into text. For myself, the benefit has been that her descriptions have improved my concentration.

When I first starting meditating sometime last year, I would think of the picture of the Buddha that Teresa Seonsaengnim had e-mailed to us, (pictured above) . At first I would just see the image of the big, gold Buddha and nothing else that was part of the monument. Now when I meditate I see the other things associated with the Buddha, like the stairs, the two big lions and the incense burner. I just found out that the local Buddha Temple is only four blocks from where we live, so obviously, I'll have to check that out!

CNN, our hurricane headquarters, has been devoting a lot to covering Katrina. It really is amazing to see the kind of environments their correspondents go into. I suppose a hurricane is a meterological war, so it's all part of the job I guess. Which reminds me, here it is a hurricane, in Asia it's a typhoon and in the Indian Ocean it's a cyclone. I have a friend near Tuscaloosa, Alabama. When Dennis blew through there a few months ago, he spent 3 days with a chainsaw cleaning up fallen trees and debris. There is supposed to be a 51 mph wind in that area tonight, so he'll probably be keeping that chainsaw handy.

Today has been a mandu and kimchi morning with an angel hair pasta afternoon. I wish the Asiana was open, I've got a real hankering for tolsotbibimbap! Oh well it will be open again in October.

Hometownyeoido is posting again, so check it out if you want to hear what James is up to.

Time to go, I've got to finish this book!