Monday, September 19, 2005

Web Designer


P9190042
Originally uploaded by korea-bound.
He/she/it is still with us. I'll refer to it as 'him' because this is my blog and because I don't know how to tell whether it's a he or a she. Even if I did know how to tell, I ain't getting that close.

He does most of his web maintenance at night. Due to lack of originality I have named him Boris. He is quite industrious, his survival depends on it. Three times in the last week we have had heavy rain and each time the web has been reconstructed. Yesterday he was able to capture two unfortunate wasps.

The spider has been living somewhere in our front hedge for nearly two weeks. I have grown to enjoy observing him, as I can sit in my lawn chair with my coffee and and watch for as long as he is in. He does move out of the web fairly often and I am curious where he disappears to because I have not been able to see his comings and goings yet. He is either 'in' or 'out'.

I have grown to respect this creature. He has become an interesting subject for experimenting with the camera.

I know that soon he will be gone and all I will have are the memories and the photographs. Hopefully I will be able to discover what species or family he belongs to. For now I enjoy his company as I read and sip coffee on the front veranda.

Have a great day.