Saturday, November 06, 2004

Down The Tubes

London, Ontario is a beautiful city. One of the nice things about London is the diversity of the people that live here. I don't know what size the Korean-Canadian community is in London. I know of one Korean church here. There are good Korean Restauraunts here. There are a lot of convenience stores that are run by Korean families. My daily loaf of bread is produced by the Korean Businessmans Association. My own personal experience with Koreans in London is that they are very nice people and they work hard. They adapt to Canadian society and they endure.
They are a good example to me for once I go to Korea.
London has not had a downtown grocery store for many years. Recently, one had been opened. It was owned by Korean-Canadians. Downtown citizens, of which I am one, were very happy that we had a grocery store downtown again. It was a welcome change to not have to travel to the 'burbs' to do the groceries. So it was a sad moment when I noticed that, for whatever reasons, the downtown store with it's Koreans is no more. This is the place were I first tried cuttlefish snacks. I was able to go in there for fruit and vegetables and study up on the Hangul alphabet at the same time. The people that worked there will be missed. I am still able to get my pronunciation lessons at the corner store from Chun and his relatives. They appear to be a Christian family. The father has a bible printed in both Hangul and English. The mother quite often is singing hymns in Korean when I stop in to buy something. Chun used to live in the Shinchon area of Seoul. They are very pleasant and seem to enjoy my interest in their homeland. How ironic that when I go to Korea, some of the people I will miss in London will be Koreans in Canada!

As always I had a very nice chat with my friend Jennifer Rex, ( cool name, huh?), Jennifer is the link to Teresa who is teaching in Daejon. I get the photos of Korea from Teresa, thanks again Teresa. Well, I have to go and get familiar with some more of the Korean Alphabet.
I hope you are all fine wherever you are. Manna, Mike.