Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Dreaming

Last night was finished off with a piece of cake. I hunkered down between the sheets by 9:30. I woke up around 11:30 to discover the dream I was having about heartburn, wasn't a dream, I really did have heartburn. It must have been those two rye and waters, and the two beers. Back in bed by midnight and awake again by 3:30. Oh well, at least the phone didn't ring.

I got to chat with Teresa in Daejon this morning. She had e-mailed everybody some really cool photos of some park she visited. Teresa has been in Daejon for about six months. She has had a few adventures since arriving there. It would be neat if I could get to Korea before she returns to Canada. When I finished high school I hitchhiked to Banff, Alberta. In 1977 I went to Poland for six weeks. These trips were both an adventure of a lifetime for me. So I have had a taste of travel, but apart from the occasional jaunt to Florida, I haven't travelled very much. So hearing Teresa's tales of travel has re-started that travel bug. It has also given me some insight on how things are over there.

Going to Banff and working at the Banff Springs Hotel is like a rite of passage for Canadian kids around 20 years old. It was like Spring Break except it was in the Canadian Rockies instead of Daytona beach and it was longer than a week. It just goes on pretty much most of the time. Hearing about people going to teach in Korea reminds me of that.....but I don't think it will be a rite of passage for me. I hope I'll be able to hang in Korea for a few years at least.

There are disbelievers and doubters among us. Some people think that it's silly that I want to do something like this especially 'at this time of your life'......whatever that means! But many of the people I am close to are very positive and enthusiastic about my upcoming trip. My Mother summed it up best...." if there's something you want to do, do it while you're still able to do it ". So at that point, I decided I wasn't going to wait until I retired to go to Korea.

Frost on the car windows this morning. Winters coming. Thanks for the photos Teresa.

Manna, Mike.