Monday, September 19, 2005

Argentine Dogo

I discovered this breed while walking to work last Thursday. I had never seen this breed before so I asked the owner about his dog. He was out walking the dog and he told me that they are a fairly rare breed in this part of the country. As far as he knows his dog is only one of three in South-Western Ontario. Now I realise why I had never seen one before!

I had the time to find out more about the breed and to pat the dog and get these two photos of it. The one thing I noticed is that the dog is quite affectionate and friendly. Click on the breed name to get more info: Argentine Dogo.

This owner is married with two small children and researched the breed before bringing it into the home. He said it is a good family dog but that it does require regular vigourous exercise.

This dog was obedient. The owner told me that they can be a strong- willed pet and as such the time and effort has to be invested in training the pet. This dog responded correctly to the owners gentle directions. He said this dog loves being with the family, likes to be in their company whether inside or out.The breed is a short hair.

A bonus on the walk to work. I walk about 17 blocks which takes me about 35 to 40 minutes. Once the snow arrives I allow an hour due to the condition of the sidewalks.

Ciao.