Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Busy

Finally made it to the 한국닉붐 yesterday and was able to pick up some mandu, kimchi and roasted sesame seeds. While there I asked the ajumma, with two other ladies looking on, if they knew where I could get a Korean tutor. The long and short of it was that they didn't. What I found interesting was that after I asked her about a tutor, she asked me if I had a Korean wife. I explained that I was unmarried and that the reason I needed to learn Korean was so that I could go to Korea and find a nice Korean lady to be my wife. Lots of laughter, I was the funny man.

Anyway, I still don't have a tutor and I am still unmarried. There is a Korean Club at the university here in town so I may check there.

Unfortunately, throughout my working life formal education has been by and largely non-existent, save for a course in '83 and 92.
Most of the education I recieved was workplace specific. Real Estate license in '87, engineers school '99. However, the local university does have a basic and advanced Korean course that I would like to pursue. Imagine my surprise when I went looking for all my school stuff and it's gone! I just recieved all my high school transcripts yesterday and am waiting on other stuff. They charge money for replacements. Self-study will be what I pursue for the next year or less. You just have to be there in person for the exam. My first course will be 'Education For The Adult Learner' to ease me back into the academic world. I took a similiar course when I started the engineer course in '99 and I did get a lot of good studying - learning strategies out of it.
It may end up that it motivates me to be more serious about my Korean self-study.

Recently, a Chinese/Canadian acquaintance told me there are more Koreans in London than Chinese. Cool. I know a lot of them move here after a year or two in Toronto. TO is too violent for some of them. Toronto's loss London's gain.

촣은하루대세요!