Saturday, October 15, 2005

Todays Lesson

오늘운비가옵니다.
Bag 필요엎서요.

Yes, today it is raining. I got that from 김선상님. The phrase about not needing the bag, I got from his wife 히진. Finally he is starting to offer up Hangeul without being asked, which is obviously appreciated. 히진 of course, is as enthusiastic as ever and repeats whatever I say in English into Korean. She assured me that 'bag' is a Korean word. Whenever I go to the store now I take pen and paper with me so that I can remember what is being said and have it in writing correctly. It is counterproductive for me not to write it down when they first teach it to me, all I end up doing is coming home and writing it down all wrong. My school of thought is to learn it right and reinforce that in my mind.

My first Korean friend I met in 1988. His name was 슥영. He told me then that I could and should go to Korea and make alot of money teaching English. I never gave it a thought at the time, but I did wonder about it, although not seriously and not for long. I think it funny now that I would like to go there. 슥영 was a big man. He stood 6'3 and he had very broad shoulders. His English was very limited and my Hangeul was non existent. His family sold their store and we never stayed in touch. He was a nice guy, I wish I still knew him now.

A cold front came in with the rain this evening. It is cool, windy and damp. The weather has been fairly mild and nice the last few days, although not as warm as Seoul. The leaves are starting to turn, this time of the year always makes me think of 'Ramble On' by Led Zeppelin.