Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Korean Food Post




Today was a good day for immersing myself into a little bit of Korea via my stomach. I ended up getting some:

김치만두/kimchi mandu
태양초고추장/hot pepper paste
갈비양념/beef kalbi marinade
a stovetop grill
김치/kimchi
빔밥/bimbap
삼겹살/sam gyeop sal
불고기/bulgogi
신라면/shin ramyen

So the 냉장하다/refrigerator and the 냉동실/freezer and 전장/cupboard are definately taking on a Korean, wait for it ... are u ready, flavour! Pun intended big time, hahaha. Lunch turned out to be rice/밥, bulgogi/불고기 and kimchi/김치. Speaking off kimchi a couple of days ago my Mother and Bill (my stepfather), were over after we made a stop at the 한국어식붐/Korean Market. Bill expressed an interest in trying some kimchi, and no offense intended, I warned them both fair and square that most Canadians gag at the mere whiff of kimchi. To my shock, Bill loves the stuff, he had seconds and then drank the pepper juice remaining in the bowl. I couldn't believe it, but I am so happy that another Canuck has a passion for the stuff like myself. It's all good because now I have somebody else to go to the Asiana with.

I had the time to wander around the market and check out some of the things that I'm not very familiar with, so I can see that there is more gastronomical adventure ahead of me shortly. So on that basis, here are some photos.