Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Books



Here is a picture of some of the books I purchased recently. The one on the top left is by Ronald W. Langacker titled "Language And Its Structure: some fundamental linguistic concepts". This was written as a text for an introductory course in linguistics I believe. This is an excellent introduction into the science of linguistics. Not only that, I was able to buy it at a Goodwill Thrift store for only 50 cents!

The one on the top right is by Eung-Jin Baek (University of Toronto. East Asian Studies Professor Emeritus Korean; Manchu; Chinese phonology; Mongolian phonology; historical linguistics. Languages: Korean; Manchu; Mongolian; Altaic), titled Modern Korean Syntax. This also is a beginner text dealing in Korean Grammer.

I believe it will be necessary for me to get a Korean tutor. There is a Basic Korean that starts in September, it is a credit course and success in it is necessary for acceptance into Advanced Korean. I think I need to get serious about learning. I pick up a phrase a day, but I do enjoy the learning, so that's what I need.

The blue book was bought at City Lights Bookstore. This is the store that was originally opened by Marc Emery, alias 'The Prince of Pot'. The US DEA is seeking his extradition to the US to face the music for shipping pot seeds into the States. If he ends up there he'll get a lengthy prison term. Here in Canada they haven't even questioned him about his pot business. Anyway, it's a good bookstore and I was able to get that one for ten bucks. They have the best selection of Korean books in town.

The bottom two were also purchased there for six bucks apiece. These last two were originally purchased in Busan, they are too advanced for me at this point but if I take that course, I'm sure they will be good practice. They are published by 연세대하교 출판부/Yonsei University. The preface is written by Tae-Sung Kim, Phd, Director of the Yonsei Language Center.

BTW, it looks like Seoul is having nice weather these days.