Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Mountain Morning


Mountain Morning
Originally uploaded by korea-bound.
This beauty of a shot was taken by my brother who lives in West Vancouver, BC.

We blab a fair bit by e-mail and by phone as well. The last few e-mails we've been yakking about cameras and printers and photo paper, you know all the important things in life.

Anyway, I was telling him how I would like to get a Canon DSLR at some point if prices ever came down toward the $500 mark. And then I got to thinking would prices ever come down that far? So I did a price comparison between a 2.1mp Canon Powershot S300 circa 2001 and a Powershot SD300 which is a 4mp bestseller for Canon today.

I was surprised at what my quick little research showed. The 2001 2mp Powershot sold new for $699.95. The 2005 SD300 lists at $399. Of the four places listed all sold the SD300 for a price between $257 and $349.

I don't know how much a Canon DSLR will cost in 2010. But today an EOS Digital Rebel 300D can be bought for $560, $778 and $799.

What's my point? How low will prices go? Will we see a $500 Rebel in the next few years? Or have prices bottomed out? Not only that how cheap will the cheaper DSLR's go?

It will be interesting to see which niches the players end up in and to see how many survive the falling prices in the camera business.

Today I could have bought the camera I bought not even 2 weeks ago, for $30 less than I paid or $50 more. Maybe it's just Christmas.

Happy Christmas shopping.