Monday, January 09, 2006

The Music Makers ... Featuring Emma Debronyi.

This is the band that played at the London Jazz Society's monthly gig for January, The Music Makers. I don't know a lot about jazz, except that it is enjoyable. I wasn't totally ignorant as I did recognise some Duke Ellington and a few others. One that I enjoyed in particular was 'Deed Ah Do'. I have a cover of this by Vancouver(?) jazz chanteuse Diana Krall, or is that Mrs. Elvis Costello? Diana Krall I think!

The boys in the band like to refer to themselves as the 'geriatric guys'. The breadth and depth of their musical experience, reaches back to varied roots from when London's 'Wonderland Gardens' and Port Stanleys 'The Stork Club' were big band/ jazz hotspots known throughout North America. These guys I think were on the tailend of the heydays, back around the late fifties, early sixties. The talent is still there in the music and was not diminished by it becoming less popular in the mainstream.

Some of the roots mentioned were, of course, Guy Lombardo, Johnny Noubarian, The New Millionaires and the band and man that I knew and admired, and respected, and worked part-time for: Johnny Downs and his Orchestra. I had the priveledge of working for Johnny Downs at his London landmark 'The Latin Quarter', twenty-five years ago. Even though I am not a musician, my like and love of music was fed by being exposed to the sounds of The Latin Quarter.

Emma Debronyi has been well known and enjoyed by fans to the genre for decades. She has a lovely voice, and the style, grace and musical charm of a bygone era.

If yesterdays musical experience was an indicator, I think the membership that was gifted to me will be well enjoyed. Not only that, it was a great place to experiment with the camera and tripod. However, as you can see, I did not use the tripod for the picture in this posting ... my apoligies.

On another 'note', pun intended, as mentioned in the posting below, Willie P. Bennett is coming to town to play at a really great small venue, the London Music Club, and I have two tickets ... but no date ... yet! Maybe I'll have to go solo.

Bless you Johnny Downs.