Friday, January 20, 2006


The snow is almost gone. This morning when I woke up it was 7C. Unbelievable, but wonderful. Today the high is going to be 10C but it's already passed that mark. Now it seems like the sun may come out.

Out the door by 0630. Got started early and took 105 photos. Most of them were in the dark. That is in addition to the 75 or so taken in the dark last night. I would like to spend at least another couple of nights out there before I move into the indoor darkness.

If you are new to photography or would like to increase your understanding of this subject you should check out one book in particular. It is called Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs by Bryan Peterson. This is an excellent book that is all about aperture, shutter speed and film speed. And yes, digicams do utilise film speed as part of the image acquisition process. The author takes a fairly technical subject, makes it a readable topic, and strips away a lot of the mystery.

The other resource I have been using to learn this new hobby are various sites at Flickr.com. A number of people have been very helpful in giving advice about their learning experiences. I thank them all for their invaluable help. This site has opened up the realm of night photography without the hindrance and limitations of the flash. Having the ability to take a photograph at night without the flash doubles you picture taking time or more.

I made another visit to the Korean Market yesterday and got to practice some of my slowly developing Hanguel. My purchases included drinks, kimchi and soup. Of course I got to visit with Danny and his wife for a bit.

Click on the photo to see the larger version.

Today is a good day, I hope yours is too!