Friday, January 13, 2006

The New Asiana For Lunch


The Asiana Restaurant re-opened this past week here in London, the heart of south-western Ontario. So how was it, Mike?

It was good ... different, but good. So what was so different about it?

Well firstly, the Asiana is now a 'Korean and Japanese' restaurant. It is no longer a strictly Korean, traditional place to eat. Some of the wait staff are now non-Korean. They don't speak Korean. Or Japanese, I will assume.

From a physical perspective the new building is bright, open and nicely decorated. The tables all have up to date barbecue grills with below table ventilation. The stain on the wooden benches in the booths is a lot lighter as well. The place does have a light, airy feel to it.

My friend and I both ordered a lunch special, because we were there after all for lunch. I had the Tolsotbibimbap and my friend ordered the Bulgogi. As an appetiser we had mandu. Also offered as appetisers, or service, were sushi and sushimi, as well as miso soup.

The appetisers were all good as were the main dishes. Not only was the food good but there was enough of it.

I did find Japanese appetisers being included instead of Korean side dishes a little odd. The fact that kimchi wasn't brought to the table or even offered was surprising to me. It was also somewhat disappointing.

The food was very good, the service was excellent and the atmosphere is new and upbeat. I think most Londoners who are looking for something different will enjoy it.

I thought at $25 for two, the lunch special was a little high. Then again the place is new. That presents new economic realities perhaps. I preferred the lunch special at $6.99 with traditional side dishes.

I had been looking for the previous Asiana, the one that catered mostly to the tastes of those looking for a more traditional Korean eatery. Apparently, in order to have that, I will have to travel to Toronto's Koreatown.

Yes it was good, yes I will go back, less than I used to.
And strange as it may seem, next time I will request kimchi with the meal.