Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The London Delta Armouries Hotel


This is a really cool building, years ago the federal government sold of the London Armouries to private interests. Wonderfully, they were able to retain an architect who was able to include this one of a kind edifice into the design.

Where the parade ground once stood inside this replicated castle, there now stands a twenty - something storey, glass structure. For the last week or two I have been casing this property for some appealing photos that I wanted to take.

The photo I decided on in my mind, the one that I thought would really look impressive, would be to take one straight on. I planned on standing directly across from the front doors and getting a few full frontal shots.

This would have resulted in a very symmetrical image with the front doors bracketed on each side by the two nearest turrets. Altogether the photo would have four spectacular turrets across the front with the glass tower centered behind, with its' exterior elevator dividing the whole picture in half. It would have been, and I'm sure it still will be, a "great shot", a great image.

So it really was pleasing to me, and the tripod and cam, that I was able to get these few shots, (only one posted here), in preparation for the one I had thought about for a number of days.

What ended up happening would have made a great scene in a Woody Allen or Rowan Atkinson skit. I got the tripod and camera in position. I looked through the lens and zoomed appropriately, I made sure I had the flash off; I set the 2-second timer, depressed the shutter release half-way down for a last check, and everything was ready. All I had to do was wait for the traffic to clear the scene, release the shutter and wait the two seconds for it to fire, and I would have my shot.

But it was not to be. Slowly, a big yellow school bus lumbered to a stop directly between me and my shot - and stops - it's four-way flashers blinking silently.

All I could say, out loud, was shit! And then I laughed. I laughed loud! It was after all, hilarious!

Oh well, maybe today, maybe another day. I got some other shots of other stuff that had been waiting in my minds' eye.

That incident, made the outing a lot of fun actually. I hope you all have a fun day too!

Annyong higyeseyo. Choun haru daeseyo!