Saturday, February 11, 2006

Red One


Here's one of the recent half dozen I purchased. Pretty colourful aren't they? They are a good seller, all three of the vendors I frequent have a fairly good selection. These are handy to have around, especially now that winter has settled in. http://flickr.com/photos/mike_55/97215640/. You can click on the above image to see the larger version as well.

The first Sunday of the month means Jazz Club time. This will be the second one for me. I am looking forward to it. It is a well lit venue so it will be a good photo op. There is always a good turnout. The band has a sax player too, so that always adds an enjoyable vibe. Nat King Cole is going to be among the covers and I'm interested in learning more about his music.

Right now I'm listening to Dire Straights - Romeo And Juliet. It's from a CD titled "On The Night". If you like Dire Straits you probably already have it. Right now reading some fairly light Canadiana by Barry Broadfoot - The Immigrant Years: From Europe And Britain To Canada 1945-1967. I do enjoy it. There are a number of first person accounts. It reminds me of reading blogs.

We emigrated from London, England to London, Ontario in 1964. My father was from Eastern Europe and my mother from Scotland, which is where I was born. So I've been walking around the planet for the last 50 years, a Scotsman with a Ukrainian/Polish surname. Guess what nationality, or what country, people always assume I'm from? I don't think that stereotypes are any better or worse depending whether or not it is based on visual appearance or not. Stereotypes are stereotypes, period. This much I know ... they really suck, big time. And I learnt that at a very young age, first hand. But you know what I tell my self and all the other "victims" of stereotyped attitudes? So what? Why would I or any other rational person waste our time worrying about what some ignorant or rascist people think or more to the point - don't think? To a certain extent people are "victims" because they feel compelled to wear that label. Or they believe that there may be some kind of righteous, divine honour in being an innocent victim. There isn't. Besides, racists come in all races.

It's freezing outside and I'm tired. Time to have something to eat and go to bed and read. Laundry in the morning to be done.

What a great day it was. Have a good night.