Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Communication

I am in the convenience store down at the corner, it's only four doors away, alot. It used to be I only went in there when I needed to buy something. Now however, I go in there often when I need a dose of Korea. My friend Chun, who is the son-in-law or hyun of the adishi and azuma, has become a good acquaintance. He has the best English of them all, however, it is still limited. The adishi speaks very little English. He is very quiet,probably because of his lack of English. For the past few months I have always used what little Hangul I know on him. I rarely got a look from the gentleman let alone a verbal acknowledgement from him.
My last two visits there, he has started to respond. He has taken an interest in my plans to go to Korea and he has started to speak. The shoe is on the other foot. We speak Hangul, and because of my very limited knowledge of the language, situations arise that I would not have had, were it not for J & M planting the Korea bug in my head. I must admit, I was a willing target.
Regardless, the adishi and I are communicating. The progress is slow, but it is progress. This has motivated me to work on Korean phrases harder. This is another benefit of having some time to prepare before I go.

Teresa is in Daejon since last April. Originally, she had made plans to go to Japan to teach. A week before her departure Japan called and cancelled. Within three weeks of that occurrence Teresa's feet hit the ground in Daejon. Teresa is in her early twenties. Korea is her first time ever living away from her childhood home and parents. I couldn't help thinking the other day, what a huge accomplishment that is. October 18 was her six month anniversary in the Hermit Kingdom. Teresa's trip to Korea, is already a huge success. Whether Teresa realizes it or not, her experiences have helped me and will be of great value to me. Most of the Korea pictures are from the photos she takes there. So to Teresa: congratulations on your six month anniversary. And thank you again for the photos and e-mails.

I am resolved: my feet, on the ground in Korea - 120 days or less. MARCH 9 2005.

I will miss the two loves of my life, my children, immensely. The price to pay is very high, but, R & A will get to see Korea, Japan and China - if they want. Right now they both still want. I need to get there soon. Teresa is there till April 18. It would be so incredible to see her there.

Manna, Mike.