Tuesday, January 04, 2005

새해 복 많이바드세요

Happy New Year! Yes, 2005 is here. It's hard to believe that 2004 is over already! We worked on New Years Eve, this is the second year that we've been open for business on this holiday. It was a relaxed pace and the weather was good, so that made the shift better. Of course it was the night shift to boot. But the money is in the bank every two weeks like clockwork!

I celebrated the holiday by eating well and calling the kids and some friends. The kids left me a message saying where they might be for New Years, paying particular attention to not leaving any phone numbers where they could be reached. They had fun and they were safe. I also called some friends who were quietly celebrating the new year at home.

My feast consisted of crackers with smoked oysters and smoked mussels, rice with lots of mushrooms and orange, yellow and green peppers. Beef tournedos that were undescribably delicious. A classic dessert; apple pie and ice cream with whipped cream.

My wanderings around Windsor included a trip to the 한국 시장/Korean Market. There I purchased some 녹차 티백/green tea teabags and some 한국 젓가락/Korean chopsticks. I expect that I will be making some purchases there in the future as they sell a lot of things Korean. Needless to say, the azumma and her two daughters, were very gracious in helping me with my attempts to learn a word or two. Such as 얼만애요?/how much?
I am hoping that I can find one or two more Koreans to do business with, because I am already realizing that, depending on who you ask, you sometimes get slightly different ways of saying the same thing; which serves to expand my language learning.

Along with the actual speaking, I also practiced writing. At the Sogang site they have pages you can print out. These pages have the letters printed in light print and you write over what you see. This is very good for making the letters straight and true.

Because I save my computer studies for home, I am only able to access www.kangmi.org, when I am home in London/런던으. I find the Repertoire feature of this site very educational.
So that is my strategy; speak, write and learn.

I have run into a small snag with my photo software, which I expect to solve in the next few days. I do apologize to the lack of photos. I enjoy the photos on your websites, and realize that I go to them expecting to see them. 'A picture is worth a thousand words', right?

Later.Mike/마익