Thursday, October 27, 2005

Oh Nara Restaurant

Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, Toronto's Koreatown was hopping last night. It is just so cool to be walking down the street and hear Korean only, see Korean signs everywhere and the streets full of, well ... Koreans. Ok ok so maybe some are Korean Canadians.

I ended up at the Oh Nara Restaurant ... my first time since last January when I was there for a lunch. Last night I had 불고기도빔밮 (bulgogi with rice?). Included with that was: tea, seaweed soup, kimchi, odeng, black beans, tofu(?) and a Coors Light all for the princely sum of $10.06. The service was excellent, the food was great and the atmosphere was very friendly.

I was hesitant to go in alone but if you are alone and you want to go to a restaurant, go Korean ... you'll have some new friends within minutes. The table to my right had 6 gentleman who were commemorating the assassination of Park Chung Hee on October 26, 1976. The one gentleman's father had been a Korean Consul-General, and as a result this man had lived in Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. He was mildly lamenting that his Korean had suffered due to the fact that so many of his formative years had been spent outside of Korea. He had excellent English though.

The table to my left was occupied by two young ladies, very attractive I couldn't help but notice. They were friendly, and kind enough to help me with my Korean attempts. The dudes on the right were even more helpful, and I ended up chatting with 3 of the 6. It was a very enjoyable experience.

After supper I headed back out onto Bloor St. and grabbed a bag of 6 walnut cakes with red bean paste and ground walnuts. I had a couple with coffee this morning ... tasty, tasty. The more I learn about Korea and Koreans, the more I like the people and what little of the culture I have been able to experience here in Canada.

I also stopped into a bookstore and checked out the ' Learn Korean' stuff but most of it was imported and I thought it a little pricey.

All in all it was a wonderful 4 hour adventure and it sure beat sitting in a hotel in Scarborough for 8 or more hours.

Oh Nara, north side of Bloor a block or two east of Christie subway.

Enjoy.