Sunday, November 20, 2005

Uri Aboji

Today was a beautiful sunny Sunday, the high got up to 6 degrees.

It was a good day to go to Kim St. Andrew Parish and check out the Roman Catholic mass, in Hanguel. There were approximately 200 people there. I was able to pick out a number of words or small phrases, but most of what was said was new to me. It was the first time I had been in one building with that many Korean- Canadians.

I was prepared for the remote possibility that I might be made to feel like I was intruding, but, not surprisingly, the opposite was true. There were a number of friendly smiles from people there. When it came time to shake hands and wish the fellow parishioners "Peace be with you", I know that some made the extra few steps to shake my hand and wish me well. I felt more than welcome, as usual, when in the company of Koreans. I find this to be a very civilized characteristic. It seems to me this kind of consideration may have a spiritual aspect to it. I have seen this friendly concern regardless of whether I am dealing with one Korean or a number of them. Truly, I have an admiration for a people and a culture that are capable of expressing this kind of civility.

To be sure, I noticed that even with each other, Koreans seem to be friendlier, and a little more sociable than I would expect Canadians would be in the same social setting. It gives credence to the statement that Koreans consider themselves to all be part of a "Big family".

I must admit that I did notice that I was the only non Korean in attendance. I was able to say very little to the priest because he knows about the same amount of English as I know of Korean. Our conversation was short but none the less friendly, and, it was Hangeung mal i e yo.

In a subtle way it was made known to me that there was some kind of function in the basement after the mass, and I will attend the next time I am present.

I do not consider myself religious, but I am in possession of a spirituality. I do attend church on an intermittent basis as my work schedule allows. I enjoy the peaceful, positive atmosphere and the sense of community. Honestly, my attending the Korean mass today was purely motivated by my like for things Korean and my desire to seek out and immerse myself in the language.

It was without a doubt an interesting experience.