Wednesday, November 23, 2005


Yes people, here are todays purchases from my favourite Korean Market. At the top of the picture is a plastic mortar and wooden pestle. Not only can I now crush sesame seeds, but I can also make pesto and a whole range of other stuff as well. I also picked up some galbi barbecue sauce as well as soy sauce from Korea and some shin ramyen, mandu and galbi. For a treat I got the round bun at bottom center and some ttok. The bun was filled with cream and was delicious.

The ttok is ok, a little bland for my liking. Hi Jin down at the store loves the stuff. She has already helped herself to half of it with the promise of chili peppers as repayment. Fair deal, I'll be able to use the peppers.. So now that I've tried it and don't like it, she'll be able to have the rest. It's a good procedure for me to stop in and show Hi Jin my purchases because she is able to give me tips on how to use and prepare stuff.

The pictures below show Danny cutting the galbi. He takes care of me, he offered to cut it when it became apparent to him that I was not familiar with galbi, let alone cutting it.

While waiting for the galbi a Korean Canadian named SK struck up a conversation with me. He has very good english, as a result of spending a few years in Wisconsin pursuing an MBA. He had lived in Canada for a number of years before he went to the US for school and he plans to remain in Canada for the rest of his life. He was intrigued about my interest in Korea. So I let him know that I think it's a pretty country. He was somewhat surprised by my ability to speak a little bit of Korean, and I even picked up a word or two from him.

The market was offering complimetary tea and coffee this morning, so I opted for the noktcha, which I do enjoy. The place was doing a fair bit of commerce this morning. There were a fair number of ajummas and some younger ladies in there as well.

As always, I enjoy having some Korea in my day. Between church on Sunday and the market today, it's been a good week for Korean.