Friday, November 19, 2004

Hello?

Needless to say it has been busy! Incredibly, my life has gone from being sedate and predictable to being turned on end. If nothing else it is now extremely interesting to see how things will play out on a number of fronts.

I was down at the Korean Mall that is close to where I live. I was there to get some pictures, which didn't turn out all that good, and to see if I could obtain an English- Korean and vice-versa, dictionary. So I'm still searching for both still.

Recently I was able to see the rice riots in Seoul on tv. How different from here...here we've had our ' race riots' and there they have their 'rice riots'. There weren't any rice riots at the Korean Mall when I was there.

While at the mall I did get to speak with an elderly Korean woman. Once she understood that I would be going to Korea next year, she asked if I was married. Once she knew that I wasn't hitched, she suggested that I could find a very good wife in Korea. I replied that I like the Korean people very much. This kind lady then reassured me that there are many Korean women that would be very good as a wife. I was able to successfully change the subject before we got to far along in the wedding plans.

But seriously I would like to meet some nice Korean ladies. I'm sure once I get working and settled in and the time is right I'll be able to socialize in that direction. Language or lack thereof will have a lot to do with it I think.

One of my friends is leaving for 14 days in Negril, Jamaica and another is leaving for Aruba tomorrow. I'm looking on with envy, because I want to go to Asia! It will happen and, no doubt, it may seem like it's happening to soon once the time to leave arrives. Oh well.

Back to Korea. I do intend to live in Korea with Koreans. I think Anyang will be good for that. I realize that I will be living life as a foreigner working there, but I would still like to assimilate as far as possible. Watch me end up in Itaewon.

Korean lessons down at the corner store are coming along. The adishi gave me an intro into Korean grammar the other day but it will take some practice for it to sink in. Obviously I will be grateful for whatever I can learn from him. His son in law is good at teaching me small phrases and words. The azuma is very good at pronunciation and diction. None the less I am learning, albeit slowly but it is coming. Recently I learned ' An nyong ha ship shay yo ' and I'm not really sure what it means but hyun, (...big son?), suggested it is nice to say to the azuma. When it's raining or cold I am able to say things like....An nay mogi! One day at a time.

Contact lenses. They are working out, I love them for the freedom. I'm still in learning mode. The fastest I've been able to get them in is 7 minutes for both eyes. I just went to put them in and discovered that one had been ripped when I took it out last night. Another one day at a time.

The weather is reasonably good here. The cities I check for weather are London Canada, Vancouver Canada, Seoul, Ho Chi Minh City, and Ulan Bator.

That's all for now. Manna, Mike.