Saturday, November 20, 2004

Dictionary

What a scoop. Not only did I get a Korean dictionary, I got a map of Seoul as well. The map is Seoul proper, mostly north of the Han with Kangnam and just the tip of Yeouido. I'm sure I'll look at it once I realize I'm lost. The dictionary is Korean-English and vice-versa. It is 'completely new' with '40,000 entries' and 'thousands of idioms, phrases, and common expressions'. It has an amazing amount of info. Plus it's easier to transport than my scribbling on letter size paper.

While downtown I stopped in at a Variety store I sometimes go to. The people that run it are from Mapo-gu. The lady is pleasant and pretty and younger than me. Her English is very good. I was able to get in a quiet 'kam sa ham ni da' on my way out. This caused her to let out a very natural giggle.
Her husband is all business, pleasant, but all business and in English only please. He always answers my Korean with English only. That's ok though, I get my Korean lessons four doors down the street from my house. So far, so good!

I had ripped one of my contact lenses the other night, so I got a free replacement from my optometrist this morning. I really like them...it's the freedom I think. I can get them in both eyes within 3 or 4 tries. It takes a week or two, before you can stop blinking, when you stick the lens in your eye. It's worth it. So far.

It's cloudy and rainy here today, but still mild. Winter has arrived in Mongolia.

Manna, Mike.